Sunday, December 26, 2010

Daniel's Top 10 of 2010

While trying to compile a list of my top 10 album releases for the year, I actually had a difficult time doing it. I downloaded A LOT of albums this year, but mostly older music. Some of my favorite bands put out new music this year and most of it, quite frankly, was disappointing. In past years I would expect Senses Fail, A Day to Remember, etc. to easily be at the top of my top 10, but I had a hard time even getting them squeezed in to it this year.

The whole year definitely wasn't all bad though, as I was introduced to a lot of new, great music so here we go with this top 10 list:



1. Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life
It truly was love at first listen with this disc. It's the perfect pop rock album, and I can put this on at any time, and it never gets old. One of MCS' best records, and by far, my favorite album of 2010!
Fav. Tracks: Her Words Destroyed My Planet,
@!#?@!





2. The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band - The Wages
My favorite new (to me) band of the year. These guys put together a great album from start to finish, and they are also the most fun you'll ever have at a concert.
Fav. Tracks: Clap Your Hands, What Go Around Come Around





3. Zac Brown Band - You Get What You Give
I really like whatever this band puts out. They aren't your average "country" band, as they use so many different elements of music. During their 10+ minute song Who Knows they even point out "This ain't ever gonna get on country radio"
Fav. Tracks: Let It Go, No Hurry






4. Murder By Death - Good Morning, Magpie
Another band that I'm glad I was introduced to this year. After downloading all of their old albums, they have become one of my favorite bands to listen to.
Fav. Tracks: As Long As There Is Whiskey In The World, Yes





5. The White Stripes - Under Great White Northern Lights
Technically there is no new music on this album (released March 16, 2010) from the White Stripes, it is just the soundtrack to their 2009 film with the same title. With that being said, I listened to this album more than almost any other album this year. Seeing Jack White perform live has also been added to my list of things to do before I die.
Fav. Tracks: The Union Forever, Prickly Thorn But Sweetly Worn




6. A Day To Remember - What Seperates Me From You
To be honest I listened to their old albums more than this one the past year, but I still really enjoyed this release. Although claiming to always "make the music they want to make" this new cd seems to be fairly radio friendly.
Fav. Tracks: 2nd Sucks, All Signs Point To Lauderdale






7. Hank III - Rebel Within
This is my favorite album by Hank III so far. No doubt the best drinking album I've heard this year. "Damn good time" is how I would describe this album.
Fav. Tracks: Gettin' Drunk & Fallin' Down, Tore Up & Loud







8. Senses Fail - The Fire
I like Buddy when he's angry. That's all I really need to say about this album.
Fav. Tracks: The Fire, Landslide









9. Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave
A very eerie album, and it's almost like Johnny Cash was speaking to his fans from beyond the grave. He knew this would be his last recordings and the songs he picked were very appropriate.
Fav. Tracks - Redemption Day, Ain't No Grave, Satisfied Mind






10. Eminem - Recovery
Eminem at his best. He admits it himself that his last couple of albums weren't great, but he really does makes up for it with this one.
Fav. Tracks: You're Never Over, Going Through Changes







SOME OTHER GOOD STUFF FROM 2010:

Four Year Strong – Enemy of the World

Courtyard Hounds – Courtyard Hounds

Drake – Thank Me Later

Gaslight Anthem – American Slang

Jamey Johnson – The Guitar Song

Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

My Chemical Romance – Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys

Ryan Bingham – Junky Star




No comments:

Post a Comment